Monday, 3 February 2014

The Classics Spin #5.

It's the fifth Classic Club spin, and I love a Classics Spin! It's the first one on this blog, but everyone knows the rules: list twenty books left on your list, and next Monday a number will be announced. 

Without futher ado:

  1. Lawrence, D. H. - The Rainbow 
  2. Stevenson, Robert Louis - Kidnapped 
  3. Kundera, Milan - The Unbearable Lightness of Being 
  4. Haggard, H. Rider - She 
  5. Fowles, John - The French Lieutenant's Woman 
  6. Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr - August 1914 
  7. Amis, Martin - London Fields 
  8. Elliot, George - Adam Bede 
  9. James, Henry - What Maise Knew 
  10. Lawrence, D.H. - Sons and Lovers 
  11. Du Maurier, Daphne - Jamaican Inn 
  12. Hemingway, Ernest - A Farewell to Arms 
  13. Blackmore , R. D. - Lorna Doone 
  14. Graves, Robert - I, Claudius 
  15. de Balzac, HonorĂ© - Cousin Bette 
  16. Goncharov, Ivan - Oblomov 
  17. Rushdie, Salman - The Satanic Verses 
  18. Cooper, James Fenimore - The Last of the Mohicans 
  19. Trollope, Anthony - Is He Popenjoy? 
  20. Du Maurier, Daphne - Frenchman's Creek
The ones I want the most - Adam Bede, Lorna Doone, and Is He Popenjoy?, and the ones that I want least: London Fields (I really wish I hadn't included it), The Satanic Verses, and The Last of the Mohicans

Meanwhile, I'm in the middle of Hard Times, and I honestly cannot wait to write a review when I finish. It is so so relevant. 

9 comments:

  1. Oooo, fun! Adam Bede and Oblomov would be my first choices. Although I don't know anything about London Fields, I agree with the other two …… they wouldn't be on the top of my list either. I have had an aversion to duMaurier ever since I read Rebecca. I really need to try another of her books but whenever I even see her name I shudder.

    It's interesting to note that I have not read even one book on your list. Just proof that you are much better read than me. That's okay though, because I get to use you as a resource! ;-)

    Happy Spin Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Rebecca, but never been able to write about it for some reason. I sort of have a personal attachment to it - it was my go-to book and film at one point. I'll have to write about it one of these days.... I've never read anything else by her, but soon (maybe Monday!) I will.

      Delete
    2. Okay, please tell me what you liked about it. Other than du Maurier's lovely descriptions, I could not find one thing I liked and it's rare that I feel that way about a book. I can't even express how much I disliked it. Perhaps I had such a strong reaction because I read it as a classic and not just for entertainment. The whole premise and all the characters' actions were just so implausible. Blah! :-P

      I think I will try watching the movie sometime, though. Hopefully it gives a little more depth to the characters than the book.

      Delete
  2. I have a pile of Trollope on my list as well, though not Popenjoy (I LOVE that title!). And I really liked Sons and Lovers. I do want to read more Lawrence -- think I should read The Rainbow before Women in Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women in Love but me off DH Lawrence for life! I wish I hadn't included those two books on my list... But, such is life. Perhaps Women in Love was a one off, but it is the one book where I happily can claim it is the worst book I have EVER read! I'll be interested to see what you make of it :)

      Delete
  3. You have some brilliant books on this list! I hope you get one you're excited to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) In a way, I'm hoping to get one I *don't* want to read - there's some I need a push with!

      Delete
  4. I didn't hate 'Women in Love' as much as you but you're right, it's terrible.I hope you do not have the misfortune of having to read 'The Rainbow' because it is even worse. I couldn't even finish Sons and Lovers. However, I will say that D.H. Lawrence is actually a brilliant short-story writer and his collection is well worth checking out. The main problem I have with his novels is that they are far too overlong and dull. He really needed a better editor to cut all the unnecessary exposition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe there's a book worse than Women in Love! Oh Lord.... Well, I'll have to at least attempt it one of these days... Next time I do a Classic Club list I'm doing more research!

      Delete